Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 312, November 8

I've mentioned in earlier posts about my Mormon heritage. Please forgive me as I return to that theme once again.
In October of 1856, Prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spoke to the Saints in General Conference. There, he described the plight of handcart pioneers who were stranded on the plains hundreds of miles away and needed assistance.
"Your faith, religion and profession of religions, will never save one soul of you in the celestial kingdom of our God unless you carry out just such principles as I am now teaching you. Go and bring in these people now on the plains, and attend strictly to those things which we call temporal, or temporal duties, otherwise your faith will be in vain."
Lucy Meserve Smith was among those who heard the Prophet's words. While men prepared to leave then and there, the sisters "stripped off their petticoats (large understkirts that were part of the fashion of the day and that also provided warmth), stockings and every thing they could spare, right there in the Tabernacle and piled them into the wagons to send to the Saints."
What valiant women. What bold women. They couldn't leave their families while their men departed, but they sent what they could. There was no false modesty. No murmurings that, "Hey, we might need these things ourselves." There was just obedience. Immediate, unquestioning obedience.
So, for today, I am grateful for courageous women.

2 comments:

  1. They grasped the situation, as well. There was no thought of, "Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't want this raggedy old thing," or, "This is so dirty. No one wants something dirty." Lives hung in the balance with every moment of delay or selfishness. Yes, many were lost. But so many were saved. Would I have the courage to act in immediate obedience? I don't know. I guess we really don't know until the test comes if we will pass the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also glad for courageous women. I am also glad that I wasn't called to be one of those courageous women in the early pioneer days.

    ReplyDelete