Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 10, January 14

Are you like me and need the sunlight? Like many others, I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and can literally feel my spirits plummet when the sun fails to shine. For several weeks, those of us in Colorado enjoyed beautiful sunny days. My spirits, my energy, and optimism all get a boost from the brilliance of the sun. It shines like a benediction.

I knew these days couldn't last forever, but I held on to them, savoring the warmth, the brightness that the sun brings. If only I could store it up, to take it out in times of sun-famine. We can't bottle sunshine like we might fruit and vegetables. Instead, we must enjoy it for the moment and then recall its blessings when it disappears for a while.

We have another kind of light in our lives. That of the Son. Fortunately, we don't have to store up His blessings for they are always available. The Son does not ration His light, and we are free to soak it up at will. That is our privilege and our choice. To bask in His light requires that we seek Him and listen to Him.

This I know for sure: when the sun is out, I feel closer to the Son. And when I am closer to the Son, I am a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment