Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 16, January 20

I recently wrote a story about appreciating life's simple pleasures. As I wrote, I reflected on the small joys in my life. A hug from my granddaughter. A grandson's dimples that refuse to stay hidden. Petting my cat. A card from a friend.

The big moments in life are usually few and far between. For me, a big moment is selling a book. Or a long-awaited trip. These are wonderful. But they are not the stuff that make up my daily life. They come months ... or years ... apart. If I rely on the big moments for my happiness and satisfaction, I am setting myself up for disappointment.

What are the simple pleasures in your life? They may revolve around other people. They may include time spent in a favorite spot--a mountain glen, the bank of a babbling stream, or even your own backyard. They may center on an activity. Many of my friends find pleasure in skiing and other winter sports. I hope you take time for whatever gives you pleasure and joy.

This I know for sure: simple pleasures and small joys are the stuff of life and should be savored.

1 comment:

  1. For out of small and simple things are great things brought to pass.

    Oops! I didn't site my source. I'd be in violation of the proposed internet regulation.

    ReplyDelete