Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 18, January 22

Today is my father's birthday. He died over four years ago, and I still miss him every day. My father did much to shape the person I am today. He imparted his love of reading to me. He tried to impart other things, but I was a stubborn child who resisted much of teachings. Some seeped through, though, despite myself.

Lately, I've been thinking about legacy and heritage. The legacy from my father did not include much in the way of material things. He died without enough money to pay for a funeral. But his legacy is so much more.

Being a friend to the friendless was one of his mottos. When I once asked him why he "bothered" helping people in our church who were frequently unkind and spent their time complaining, he replied, "Everyone needs a friend."

Legacies come in all shapes and sizes.

This I know for sure: my father's legacy was a rich one.

1 comment: