Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 25, January 29

The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender,
religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we
all believe that we are above-average drivers.

- Dave Barry

Dave Barry's humorous quote set me to thinking about average, above, below, and anywhere in between. First, I am the exception to the above rule. I don't believe myself to be an above-average driver. Even my most loving friends would not describe me that way, either.

However, I believe that I do have some above-average qualities. I try to remember my friends' birthdays with a card or small gift. I try to offer sincere compliments. I try to be loyal.

I believe that all of us have some above-average traits or skills. Sometimes we need to look at ourselves and others with new eyes. The person who sees the good in every situation is above average. The person who finds something good to say about everyone is above average. The person who serves in the community with a loving heart is above average.

This I know for sure: everyone is above average in something. It is up to us to find it, in ourselves and in others.

1 comment:

  1. I'm above average at not recognizing my own talents!

    Sorry. It looks like what I'm really above average at is laughing at my own jokes!

    ReplyDelete