Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 128, May 6

 A week ago, my husband and I bought a new (to us) car.   By no means a trendy person, I did not want a sports car, or even an SUV, so popular among our friends and family.  I wanted a Park Avenue Buick, similar to the one we were driving.

The Buick is thirteen years old, has 133,000 miles on it, and is staid and conventional, much like me.  The fact is, the Buick and I are pretty much interchangeable.   I don't see that as a failing, though.  I see it as saying, "I'm still here.  I've endured much and will undoubtedly endure more."  Like the Buick, I've weathered storms, even a tornado or so.  And I'm still standing.

The things and people of lasting value will probably not be trendy or shiny or new.  They will be the ones slightly weathered, a little bent from withstanding the winds of misfortune, a great deal humbled by those same winds.

So, for today, I am grateful for cars ... and people ... who are still standing.



1 comment:

  1. Jane.............I too purchased a new car in March. My "Alice" was 18 years old and had 280,000+ miles, she got 37 mpg....awesome, her only downfall......no AC and it was a hot summer last year and a 55 year old hot-flash-gal cannot go thru another hot summer. I bought another Honda...........her name is "Harriet" I'm trying to love her like I loved Alice.....only time will tell if my relationship with my new SUV will blossom into a full fledge Love Affair. I *sniff sniff* wiped a tear as the new owners drove my Alice down Raintree......*sigh* I too am grateful for cars. (I went with the SUV strictly for getting in and out of ......higher seat is easier to haul my booty out of)

    ReplyDelete