Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 130, May 8

Stella Harris Oaks, mother of Apostle Dallin H. Oaks, was a pioneer in women's rights, though she would never have described herself as such.  Instead, she simply did what needed to be done, whether it was caring for her family of three young children when her husband of 11 years died, or serving on the town council and as assistant mayor of Provo, Utah in the 1950s, at a time when such positions were generally not held by women. 

After the death of her husband, she went back to school, determined to get more education, more learning, to better support her family and to contribute to the community.

Despite her many accomplishments, however, her first priority was always serving the Lord and her family. Whatever she did, it was with gratitude in her heart.  "I watch for little signs or signals each day that the Lord is watching over me," she once wrote.  "A thousand things each day show me that He is concerned about me and that He loves me."

So, for today, I am grateful for this woman who truly knew what women's rights meant.

1 comment: