Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 149, May 27

Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.   Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate  soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service. 

Many of us have family members and ancestors who died while defending our country.  When I think of this, the ultimate sacrifice, I am both humbled and chastened.  How often do I take our freedoms for granted?  How often do I criticize our country for policies with which I don't agree?

With all its problems, America is still the greatest land in the world.  It always will be.  Those who gave their all in serving America deserve to be remembered, not just on this day but on every day.

So, for today, I am grateful for those men and women who paid with their lives to protect our way of life.

1 comment: