Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 147, May 25

"Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other.  The objet of prayer is not to change the will of God."--The Bible Dictionary

How many times have I prayed, seeking to instruct God, counsel Him, persuade Him to my way of thinking?  Far too many.  How can I ever think I know best--about anything?  And still I seek to instruct, counsel, and persuade the Father of us all.  How arrogant.  How foolish.  How naive.

My prayers should be those of thanksgiving and, occasionally, beseeching, but never direction.  I am the one who needs instruction.  I am the one who needs counsel.  I am the one who needs persuasion.

So, for today, I am grateful for those times when I remember the true purpose of prayer.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good reminder. I'm guilty of the same thing but when you read it, it seems silly that we would try to instruct God.

    ReplyDelete