Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Day 176, June 25

"People disappear when they die. Their voice, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continue to exist. We can rediscover them.....their humor, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word....they can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber....by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved....it is a kind of magic."

A friend who recently completed writing her parents' histories, sent me this quote.  It seemed especially appropriate to print it now, when Larry and I have recently lost a dear friend. 

I will remember our friend when I read something that shows compassion, kindness, strength, and humor.  I will remember our friend when I read something of intelligence, faith, and service.  I will remember our friend when I read the scriptures, for he loved the them with all his heart.

Joy for today:  remembering a friend through words.


No comments:

Post a Comment