Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 29, February 2

Colorado is a dichotomy in weather. The sun can be shining brightly while it is snowing outside. Doesn't that sound contradictory? Yet it happens.

As I observe myself and others, I see dichotomies in behavior. I see people who are both generous and stingy, kind and mean-spirited, intelligent and unwise. Most of us are a mix of traits, whatever quality is shown at any given moment a product of that individual's needs and background.

How do we keep the positive qualities at the foremost and the negative at bay? That is a question that stumps counselors, both secular and spiritual. Relationship problems abound when our "natural man" traits topple the kinder, gentler traits that the Savior exemplified.

I notice that when I have problems with someone else, it is usually because I've allowed my baser self to take the upper hand. If I am emulating the Lord, I can find something good in the other person. The world teaches us that kindness is synonymous with weakness.

This I know for sure: kindness is strength in its purest form.

No comments:

Post a Comment