Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 34, February 7

I recently watched a television show with the theme of "everyone deserves to feel like a star at least once in his life." Though the show was a comedy, the idea so touched me that I found myself crying as the main character revealed how he had been discarded in high school, dismissed as unimportant, not deserving of anyone's interest, much less their regard.

Haven't we all felt this way at one time or another? I know I have. I listened to the naysayers, those who would have me feel less than I am. And too often I believe them. I believed the editor who told me that I would never sell a book and suggested I look for another profession. I believed the family member who is unrelentless, indeed, merciless, in his criticism of me. I believed the child who told me that I was a horrible mother.

I know, I shouldn't let others' words and opinions affect me so. But the truth is, words can hurt. Don't we all bear a responsibility to lift others up, to give them reason to feel good about themselves? Don't we all find pleasure when we give a boost to another?

This I know for sure: life is hard enough without heaping hurt on each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment