Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 313, November 13

"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."--John Wesley

I apologize for returning and returning again to one of my favorite themes:  that of kindness.  This past week, I have been more than discouraged, first with our nation's choices, then with the personal problems that several friends are undergoing.  I can't fix what is wrong with our country; neither can I solve the problems which my friends face. 

Then, just when my discouragement threatens to grow overwhelming, someone does a kindness for me or I witness a kindness performed for someone else ... and my faith in the world, in the universe is restored.  It doesn't take much, a smile, an individual helping a young mother wrestling with toddlers and a load of packages, a card in the mail, a call from a friend, a prayer uttered in my behalf.

This I know for sure:  we find strength in the hearts of others.  We give strength by opening our own hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment