Saturday, November 24, 2012

Day 324, November 24

At the moment, I'm sitting in my home, looking out a window, marveling at the beauty of a Colorado landscape.  As I do this, I remember that my comfort and safety are due in large part to the men and women who serve our country.

My thoughts turn to the two former Navy Seals who made the ultimate sacrifice on September 11, 2012. Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty manned a machine gun to protect American soil and American lives.  They did this out of duty, out of faith, out of love for their country and their fellow Americans.  In the meantime, America turned her back on them.

Rarely have I been ashamed of our country.  On the contrary, I am normally fiercely proud of America and what she represents, not just to her citizens but to the world.  During the Viet Nam era, when it was popular to defame the flag and denigrate America, I remained a staunch supporter of the men and women who served in a war most of the country wanted to forget.  At this moment, though, when I think of those two young men who paid with their lives, that pride is tarnished.

This I know for sure:  Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty were and are heroes in the best sense of the word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment