Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 218, August 4

I recently learned some facts about bees and beehives.  Did you know that anywhere from 20,000 to 60,000 bees fill one hive?  Each bee contributes approximately 1/12 a teaspon of honey to the hive.  One hive produces a pound of honey. 

At first glance, it would seem that the contribution of one individual bee to be a paltry thing.  Take away 1/12 a teaspon and it would leave most of the honey in place.  However, what if several bees or a dozen bees or several dozen bees failed to contribute?  The result would be far different.

The speaker who gave this information then compared the contribution of a bee to our own contributions.  I am occasionally guilty of believing that if I fail to show up for church, or a work project, or what-have-you, it won't make any difference.  And then I realize that I am only rationalizing my way out of fulfilling my duty.  If I can add only 1/12 of a teaspons of "honey," that is more than what there was originally.

So, for today, I am grateful for bees ... and people ... who do their part.

2 comments:

  1. I also remember that talk. Not just commentary on our participation in the church, but also the community, voting, employment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just used this in a RS training. It really was a good talk.

    ReplyDelete