Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 185, July 4

It is the 4th of July. What else could I write about but freedom?
People have different ideas about freedom, about what it means, what it doesn't mean. In the last ten years, many have complained that our freedoms have been taken away as our country responds to terrorists threats.
It occurs to me that some people use their freedom unrighteously, such as the terrorists who seek to impose their will upon everyone. Then there are the people who use their freedom to fight threats to America. These are the people who have my respect and my gratitude, the men and women who serve our country so valiantly.
I've written before about my father who served in World War II. He had the opportunity to remain stateside and use his skills here, but he felt compelled to volunteer to be placed overseas and ended up in the Pacific Theater. Today, decades later, other men and women place their lives at risk to provide the rest of us with the freedoms we too frequently take for granted.
So, for today and for everyday, I am grateful for American servcie men and women.

No comments:

Post a Comment