Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 201, July 20

Today is my sister Carla's birthday. Carla has had more than her share of health problems in the past and has suffered heartaches. But she is here and enjoying her children and granchildren, delighting in life.

Carla is the other half of me. She is the ying to my yang, the temperate to my more boisterous self. In many ways, she is the better half of me. We complement each other in a myriad of ways. We are more than sisters of the same parents; we are sisters of the heart. When she hurts, I hurt. When she rejoices, I rejoice. We clung to each other at the deaths of our parents. I grieved with her at the passing of her husband.

Sisters, whether of the blood or of the heart, occupy special places in our lives. How could they not? Sisters know when the other is hurting, across the miles, across the years. Sisters are there for each other with quiet support and a kick-in-the-seat when needed. Sisters simply are.

So, for today, I am grateful for my sister.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have Aunt Carla as your sister and that you all are so close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love your sister. She is an amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Jane. Sisters are great glad I have mine. I refer to them and other great friends of mine as Bosom buddies (this was taken from Anne of Green Gables ) having truly bosom friend. A friend or sister for life and beyond. Love you and Carla you are fabulous. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete