Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 106, April 14

"If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place."--Eckhart Tolle

This quote reminds me of a story I heard years (and years) ago when I was in college.  A little boy pestered his father to play with him.  The father took a picture of the world and cut it into pieces, telling his son that when he could fit it together, they would play.  Unbeknown to the father, the back of the picture held another picture, that of a man.

The boy quickly put the puzzle together and presented it to his father.  Amazed, the father asked his son how he put the picture together so quickly.  The little boy innocently replied, "I put the man together, and the world took care of itself."

It's a perhaps trite story, the moral obvious.  Yet it stuck with me these years (and years) later.  If I put myself together, maybe the world, or at least my world, will take care of itself.

What if we all put ourselves together?  Would our world take care of itself?  I think it would go a long way to making the world a better, kinder, gentler place.

So, for today, I am grateful for people who put themselves together.

No comments:

Post a Comment