Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 217, August 15

Today is Larry's birthday.

Larry and I met 45 years ago at Brigham Young University at what was then called "Meet Your Bishop" night.  He came up to me and said, "You've got good-looking legs."  Alas, that that were only so today.

We started dating.  The following summer, Larry left for a two year mission for our church.  We wrote continuously, and I sent him care packages.  (Incidentally, one of his mission companions was Rolf Berger, who, when he came home from his mission, met my sister.  But that's a story for another day.)

The spring after Larry returned, we were married.  Things got bumpy right away.  By bumpy, I mean a pregnancy bump and a bunch of other little bumps.  But we persevered.  Forty-one years, five children, grandchildren, and a cat who thinks of us as staff later, we are still persevering.

Larry has stuck by me through depression, the ups and downs of writing, losing my parents and sister, and a host of other things.

As I said, things haven't always been easy, but we love each other and love the Lord.  In the end, that's what really matters.  In the end, that's all that matters.

Joy for today:  being married to the man I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment