Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day 218, August 16

Recently I read of some scientists at BYU (Brigham Young University) who are using tree mapping (studying the rings of trees) to better predict and understand current draught conditions in Utah.  By doing so, they hope to help people prepare for and work within water limitations.

Isn't that great?  By studying the past, we can help understand and better our present and future.  The writer in me sees a parallel between this and family history work.  If I come to know my ancestors, their trials, and struggles, I can understand myself and my family more, to prepare us for our own "draught" conditions.

And we will all face draught conditions.  Whether it be the death of a loved one, unemployment, a child who strays from the faith, whatever, we will face them because we live in a telestial world, where sorrow and pain are inevitable.

I've faced my own draught recently, trying to come to grips with it and at the same time go on at the loss of my sister.  When I read of my grandfather who left his wife and little family to serve not one but two missions to a faraway land, I am strengthened.  When I read of my grandmother who carried on after the death of her husband, raising nine children on her own, I am strengthened once again.

Joy for today:  learning from the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment