Friday, August 22, 2014

Day 224, August 22

Yesterday I wrote about storytelling.  Today's post is a continuation of that subject.

Recently, I have been working on writing life sketches of my sister, my parents, and some ancestors, then attaching them to a family history site in the Church called familysearch.  I love finding stories about those who have gone before and sharing them.

I am fortunate enough to have many stories about my father's ancestors.  He and his family were journal-keepers, who wrote about themselves and their family.  I am less fortunate in finding stories about my mother's people.  (In the South, family and ancestors are referred to as "people.")

I hope to do some digging and find some stories about my mother's people which I can then share.  Until then, information about her side of the family tree is sparse.

What is my point in sharing this?  It's an admonition of sorts to write about yourself, to write about your daily doings, your goings and your comings, your family, both past and present, so that that precious information will be preserved.  These writings will be treasured by your family and by those to come.

In a way, that's what this blog is.

Joy for today:  writing and sharing stories about family.


No comments:

Post a Comment