Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 218, August 6

Too often, our society seems intent on idolizing poor behavior. A quick glimpse of a television program entitled Bridezillas left me shaking my head in bemusement. When did rudeness, selfishness, and downright meanness become a cause for celebration?
My husband says that I don't get out in the real world much. The fact is, I like my world just as it is. We have a young family in our church who epitomizes generosity. This past week, I called the mother to ask if I could hire her children to do some yard work. After talking with her children, she said that they couldn't take pay for serving someone else.
This is not an isolated incident with this family. They give of themselves to everyone, neighbors, church members, friends. They perform their acts of service with quiet grace, never drawing attention to themselves. In fact, they go out of their way to avoid the spotlight.
What a pleasant contrast to media superstars whose so-called charitable acts are accompanied by a fanfare of trumpets. The Savior warns against this when He counsels to do our good deeds in secret.
(As I re-read what I've just written, I realize that I've jumped from Bridezillas to the Savior. What can I say? My mind makes odd leaps at times.)
So, for today, I am grateful for people like my friends who do their good acts in secret.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I think it's a good idea to jump from Bridezillas to the Savior!

    ReplyDelete