Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 220, August 8

"Success is often achieved by those who don't know that failure is inevitable."--Coco Chanel.
I love this quote. I love the optimism, the in-your-face defiance it exudes. I've always admired Coco Chanel, a woman who defied the odds of a woman succeeding in business at a time when the role of women was narrowly defined. When I heard this quote, I gained a greater appreciation for her.
How many times have I stopped myself from doing something because I knew I wouldn't succeed? Far too many. And what if I hadn't succeeded? Would the world have come to a stop? Would life as we know it have ended because I tried something and failed?
No.
But I stopped myself because I didn't want to add another failure to an already long list. How sad is that? As I enter a new decade in my years, I am determined to try new things and, inevitably, to add new failures. There. I've said it aloud.
Perhaps in a later post, I can share some of those with you.
So, for today, I am grateful for people who succeed when failure is inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment