Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 227, August 15

Today is my husband, Larry's, birthday.
Larry and I have been married for 38 years (a miracle when you realize that I am only 29). Over the years, we have weathered pregnancies and PMS, flooded basements and the teenage years of five children, car wrecks and family photo sessions, and a myriad of other disasters. Somehow, in between carpools and Little League games, we managed to have a life.
He was and is a hands-on parent, changing diapers, cleaning up messes, and sharing every part of child-rearing. Today, he is a devoted grandfather.
Larry has put up with my less-than-stellar driving, including my backing our first car into the wall of our apartment building (I was avoiding hitting a bird), my hot flashes, and a number of other trials. Through it all, he has been there.
When our cat, Harley, needed not one but two expensive operations, he never flinched, only said to the doctor, "Do what you have to to save her." He took time off work to help me take Harley to the vet and stayed with me until we knew she was all right.
Don't get me wrong. We have had our share of problems. We have been through both the "richer and poorer," the "in sickness and in health" part of the marriage vows and somehow have come out on the other side. Perhaps because we knew the Lord was on our side.
So, for today, I am grateful for my husband. I am always grateful that the Lord is on our side.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post Mom. I'm glad you all have weathered all these things together. Your children are better off because of it.

    I hope you have a great week in Utah.

    ReplyDelete