Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 243, August 31

All over the nation, children are heading back to school. When my children were in school, the house brimmed with excitement over new clothes, sports sign-ups, and school supplies. Who can resist the crack of brand new books, the crisp rustle of notebook pages, and the squeak of new sneakers?
Now I have grandchildren in school. A few weeks ago, I took my eleven-year-old granddaughter shopping for school clothes. I realized my tastes were hopelessly out of date, but her excitement over the process took me back to twenty or so years ago when I did the same thing with her mother.
The cycles of life are reassuring. The familiar patterns remind us of past joys and leave us anticipating future ones. Where I used to attend my children's football games, band concerts, recitals, etc, I now look forward to attending those of my grandchildren. I smile at my children's pride and pleasure in their children. At my granddaughter's dance recital, I leaned over and whisper to my daughter, "She looks just like you."
So, for today, I am grateful for life's cycles.

1 comment:

  1. It's been interesting having a near teenager for a child. She is SO into clothes right now and making sure that her hair is "just" right. Does kind of take me back. I'm glad you all could go shopping together.

    ReplyDelete