Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 238, August 26

Last Sunday, I attended church in Utah with my sister. A teacher asked what we do in our leisure time and put forth the idea that how we use our leisure time, in large part, determines the kind of people we are.
It was a wake-up call for me. I'm lazy. There. I said it ... or wrote it ... for all to see. I'm lazy and want to spend my leisure time reading, watching television, or napping.
There was a time in my life when the concept of leisure time was laughable. Five children, with fifteen years between the oldest and the youngest, kept me busy full time. Nursing the baby, getting the five-year-old to kindergarten and back again, taking the nine-year-old to Little League practice, and struggling to keep the house from being condemned by the Board of Health filled my days. I rejoiced (mostly) in doing those things. That was the life I had chosen. That was my role. That was my love.
Now, my days are much more my own. I work on my writing. I keep (or try to keep) the housework done. I do my church callings. But I could do so much more in helping others, serving others, loving others.
I doubt that Heavenly Father will look upon my reading, TV watching, or napping with approbation. I believe He will be far more interested in whether I visited a friend, sent a card to an elderly aunt, or read my scriptures.
So, for today, I am grateful for the reminder to use my leisure time with greater purpose.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Yes, there is something to what you say. I don't want to sound hedonistic, but there is something to be said for taking enough time for yourself that you have something left to give to others. I know our tendency is to take too much, but don't completely give up on the naps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and may the Board of Health stay far away from my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Mom. I know I too could spend more of my free time doing something better. But hey, there are a lot of great TV shows on, right? Anyway, I do agree with Deliese as well, though.

    It's all about balance, just as with everything in life I suppose.

    ReplyDelete