Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 230, August 18

For my birthday two weeks ago, my husband gave me a beautiful sculpture depicting the Lord's hands creating the earth. The sculpture speaks to me on several different levels.
I love the theme of creation, the idea of making something, whether it be a piece of art, a loaf of bread, or the earth.
I love the idea of hands at work. As I've mentioned before, hands fascinate me: hands of different shapes and sizes, hands of different colors and talents. My own hands are fairly small; nor are they particularly strong. However, they can and do do work. When my children were small, my hands were constantly busy: changing diapers, preparing food, soothing away the hurts and bumps of life. Today my hands do a different type of work, creating a different type of life.
I love the representation of the Lord's hands. For He is the ultimate Creator.
Creation and hands. The two are iinextricably connected. When we use our hands to create, we emulate the Lord.
So, for today, I am grateful for hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment