Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 228, August 16

Nearly fourteen years ago, my mother died. When my father passed away ten years later, I was left feeling anchorless. There I was, a grown woman, and I felt like an orphan. I was being foolish, I told myself. I was a wife, had children and grandchildren, yet I could not shake that feeling.
Not until sometime later did I realize that I had a parent Who is always there. My Father in Heaven is as close as a prayer. Why did it take me so long to remember that? In my grief over the loss of my father, I had forgotten my other Father.
Remembering that He is there for me, for all of us, is a comfort like no other. I truly do not understand how individuals who do not believe in a higher being get through a day, much less through life. How do they function without that knowledge?
When I was a child, my earthly father provided for me. He sheltered me, protected me, taught me, loved me. My Heavenly Father does much the same. He shelters me. He protects me. He teaches me. He loves me.
So, for today, I am grateful for my fathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment