Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 338, December 4

As I've confessed in earlier blogs, I am hopelessly old-fashioned about some things. I grew up in an era when we said the Pledge of Allegiance aloud every morning in school. We prayed in school. We also referrred to school Christmas programs as "Christmas" programs.
When my older children were in school, Christmas programs were still called that. Somewhere along the way, though, it became fashionable or politically correct to refer to such programs as "holiday" or "winter" programs. (I have had many goals over the years. Never once, though, have I aspired to be politically correct.)
When I see a reference to a school's (or office or church or any venue) program or party titled "Winter Wonderland" or some such thing, I want to ask, "What gave you the right to take Christ out of Christmas?"
I can see you shaking your head and saying, "Well, the silly old woman is on one of her rants. What is she thankful for in this bit of rambling nonsense?"
Well, I'm hoping that there are a few of you who believe as I do: that Christ belongs in Christmas. He belongs in the word. He belongs in the songs. He belongs in our celebrations. He belongs in our hearts.
So, for today, I am grateful when Christ is in my heart and in Christmas. (I'm also grateful for anyone who has not aspired to be politically correct.)

No comments:

Post a Comment