Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 347, December 13

Sometimes it seems as if Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus, receives little attention in the celebration of this most glorious time of year. It wasn't until I was much older that I understood the enormity and humility of what Joseph did in accepting Mary, when she was with child. Another kind of man could have, would have, had her stoned. Yet he gave her his name and lovingly cared for her.
Several years ago, I put together a small booklet of original poems for my grandchildren. I'd like to share one of those poems with you now:
I WONDER WHAT JOSEPH FELT
I wonder what Joseph felt
When in the stable Mary gave birth
To the child, Jesus Christ,
The Savior of all the earth.
I wonder what Joseph felt
When he looked at that Holy Child.
Did he feel the glorious presence
In one so meek and mild?
I wonder what Joseph felt
When the shepherds came.
Did he, too, kneel in awe
Of the babe who bore Christ's name?
So, for today, I am grateful for Joseph, a noble and gentle man.

1 comment:

  1. The great philosopher Garth Brooks said, "Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood". (He probably didn't coin the phrase, but I liked calling him a philosopher.) It's true, nonetheless. If we are lucky, we have many "closer than blood" friends and family. Joseph should be honored for his example in this!

    ReplyDelete