Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 355, December 21

Are you feeling stressed during these last days before Christmas? I hope not. I hope you've been able to let go of things that don't really matter and to hold onto things that do. The trick is in knowing what really matters. That varies for each of us.
Does having a beautifully decorated home complete with garlands, exquisite ornaments, and fine holiday china matter to you? Then you should focus on that. Does hand-writing Christmas cards matter to you (as it does to me)? Then you should concentrate on that.
Isn't it wonderful that we're all so different and that we have the freedom to choose which holiday activities we'll expend our energies and time on? What matters to you? I've found that discovering what matters to you and then going after it is an important factor in happiness. If someone told me I had to spend hours--days--decorating for Christmas, I would be less than happy. That simply isn't important to me. Spending time with family and friends is important. I forego other things to make this happen.
So, for today, I am grateful for the freedom to choose what matters.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jane, for the reminder that we don't have to do EVERYTHING to make holidays meaningful, and in fact we can't do everything. Choosing the things most dear to each of us is what makes this time so special.

    ReplyDelete