Thursday, December 1, 2011

Day 335, December 1

Do you have goals for December? Do you plan to have all your card and package mailing done by the first week? Do you plan to have your wrapping done by the second week? Your baking complete by the third week? And so on?
I used to have these kinds of goals. In fact, I measured the succcess of my holiday season by how much I got done. How many cards I wrote. How many presents I wrapped. How many decorations I put up. How many lemon bars I baked.
I still have goals, but they have evolved. I have a goal to do something nice for someone each day (following my Aunt Mae's example). I have a goal to write in my journal every day. I have a goal to follow through with the Gratitude Project.
What is meaningful for me may not be for you. And what is meaningful for you may not be meaningful for me. Isn't it great that we're all different? And isn't it great that that's the way Heavenly Father created us?
So, for today, I am grateful for the evolution of goals.

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful that the Savior is much less rigid with us than we sometimes are with ourselves. Like you, my goals have evolved over the years. My goal this year is to "keep Christmas" as Dickens put it. Am I cheerful? Are my children happy, but not spoiled? Do we have the spirit of giving to others before thinking of ourselves? Does what I say and do reflect the Savior? And, after all the shopping, wrapping, baking, writing, singing, delivering, and parking, do I still have peace in my heart?

    Hmmm. Maybe I bit off a bit too much after all!

    ReplyDelete