Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 353, December 19

A few days ago, Barbara Walters had a television special where she interviewed her "most interesting" people of 2011. I didn't watch it, but I couldn't help seeing advertisements about it. Among her most interesting people were the Kardashians (does anyone REALLY know what they do or why we should want to keep up with them?), actors, and others.
Walters is a respected journalist, so I figure she must have valid reasons for choosing these people. Let me tell you about some of my most interesting people. They won't make the covers of People or Sports Illustrated or Time magazines, but I'm pretty sure they will make more eternal publications.
A dear friend is undergoing horrendous chemotherapy sessions every 21 days. Rather than complain, she still finds the energy and compassion to ask about others, wanting to know how they're doing. Another friend visits her husband in a Denver hospital every day, making the 50 mile drive there and back, while at the same time caring for her three children and maintaining the house. Still another friend designs and sews beautiful doll clothes, then dresses dolls she has purchased, and gives them to the Salvation Army to brighten the Christmas of needy children. I could go on, but I'm sure you're getting the idea.
What, may you ask, does this have to do with Christmas? The segue is pretty straightforward: Christmas is about Christ and Christ is about service.
So, for today, I am grateful for truly interesting people.

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful people you've highlighted here today. Good stories about good people, struggling, but still finding the time to serve others.

    ReplyDelete