Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 349, December 15

Today is my son Hyrum's birthday. Hyrum was our "Christmas baby," with a due date of December 26. He arrived nearly two weeks early, eager, I always believed, to get on with the business of living.
When my husband and I shared the news with family and friends that we were expecting a new baby the day after Christmas, we met with mixed reactions. Most people were thrilled with the news; however, a few asked "What were you thinking? Having a baby so close to Christmas?"
For me, having a baby during the Christmas season heightened my love for this time of year. It drew me closer to Mary, as I pictured her "great with child."
And so I welcomed Hyrum in to my arms and in to my heart. He has always been a delight, a curious blend of vulnerability and brashness, sensitivity and humor. Please indulge me as I share a story about him with you.
Last March, Hyrum won an all-expenses paid trip to Mexico for two. His immediate reaction was to invite his older brother, Rob, to join him. Rob had had a rough year and was in much need of a few care-free days. Hyrum could have invited a friend, but he chose to include his brother. My heart was touched by the gesture.
So, for today, I am grateful for Hyrum, my "Christmas baby."

1 comment:

  1. I have also been great with child several times through the Christmas season (my children being born after the new year, though). I also received some less than positive comments. It made me appreciate Mary, who kept all these things and pondered them in her heart. I was a little more likely to give a piece of my mind!

    ReplyDelete