Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 343, December 9

"We have a great deal more kindness than is ever spoken." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Do you wonder what Emerson meant by this? I have my own ideas. Since this is my blog, I will share them with you. You, of course, are welcome to take them or leave them.
Recently, a dear friend's son had a birthday. I'd intended to take a present to him. You know what? I didn't get it done. In preparing for a trip, I got caught up in my own concerns. Laundry. Packing. Cleaning. Worrying. (I'm a world-class worrier. If there were a gold medal awarded in the worrying event, I'd win hands down.)
Anyway, I didn't get a present for him. I didn't even send him a card. Like so many of my good intentions, this one ended up in the recycle bin.
What does this have to do with Emerson's words? I had kindness in my heart but didn't translate it in to action. That is one interpretation of this quote.
Another: perhaps Emerson was referring to the kindnesses that are extended to us that we don't speak about, that we don't acknowledge, that we don't say "Thank you" to the giver.
One more: could Emerson be reminding us to the greatest of Gift-givers, our Savior? Could he be gently hinting that the Savior continues to bestow kindnesses upon us but that He never speaks of them but expects us to show our gratitude?
I don't know what was in Emerson's mind or heart when he penned these words. However, speculating on them has reminded me that I should be speaking more kindnesses, doing more kindnesses, and acknowledging more kindnesses in my life.
So, for today, I am grateful for words from a master poet.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Jane.

    Great words can inspire us to think, but only great minds take advantage of the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Like so many of my good intentions, this one ended up in the recycle bin". -- This phrase, I really like.

    Sounds a lot like what goes on in my life. My life is filled with good intentions, intentions being the key word. I should try harder to make it filled with good actions instead.

    ReplyDelete