Saturday, December 31, 2011

Day 365, December 31

The year is drawing to a close. For our family, it has been a year of ups and downs. I imagine it has been that way for many.
This year has been a journey for me. I've learned more about myself this year than in any other. Part of that is because of this blog. Writing about my blessings has been an eye-opener. The things that I have related haven't been earth-shattering. They are the day-to-day happenings in the life of a wife and mother and grandmother, a sister and friend and writer. They are the small things of which is life is made.
Most of us will not be a counter-terrorism operative (do you ever dream of spying for our country?). Most of us will not cure the common cold. Most of us will not invent the next best thing to sliced bread.
Does that mean that what we do doesn't matter?
No! Each time I write a card to a friend, I (like to) think it matters. Each time I drive a friend to the hospital or the store, it matters. Each time you serve in your church or community, offer a smile to someone who is down, or contribute to your favorite charity, it matters. It always matters when we stoop to lift another.
Life is made up of small acts, small and petty, generous and thoughtful. Life is made up of choices, foolish and wise, bad and good. I'm still wending my way through this journey called life, still trying to get it right, still trying to make me in to what the Savior wants.
As the year winds up, I had an epiphany: if I truly want to get it right, if I truly want to make me in to what the Savior wants, I have to turn myself over to Him. For only through Him, will I ever get anything right.
So, for today, and for every day, I am grateful for the journey of allowing the Savior to get it right for me.

5 comments:

  1. And I am grateful that you undertook this project and persisted throughout the year. Some of your posts brought smiles to my face, others tears to my eyes. All of them made me think and look at my world a bit differently. Thank you, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another of my favorite philosophers, Dr. Who, said, "I've never met anyone who was not important". If that's true, and I believe it is, then it also follows that what we do is important. Every thank-you, every smile, every kindness, (and every blog post) is important.

    Thank you, Jane, for doing what was important this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this journey with me. I to am a better person because of the insight and challenges you have posted. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes you did persist in this thing that has become very important this year! For you, as you stated, and for me and all of us who have read your posts. I've read a fraction of them only, I'm a lot late to the party! What I've been reading these past three months I've depended on and engaged in, both - like with breathing: Depended on the stability and comfort to my mind and heart as I do air breathed in automatically; and have engaged in your thoughts and the resulting gratitude(s) like they are vital as a breath. Good, good job, Jane! You've sustained the project, yourself and so many of us through the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on post 365, I've loved them all. You are fabity-fab-fab-fabulous!

    ReplyDelete