Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 218, August 10

 "Talking is like playing the harp; there is as much in laying the hands on the strings to stop their vibrations as in twanging them to bring out their music."--Oliver Wendell Holmes

What a lovely anology, comparing talking to harp playing.  Unfortunately, my talking rarely has that perfect balance of sound and silence as that of the music of a skilled harp player.

Too often, I am impatiently waiting for the person with whom I'm talking to stop her prattle so that I can talk.  Obviously, my words have more importance, more significance.  Why should I be forced to wait for her to run down until I can impart my nuggets of wisdom?

And isn't that a sad commentary?

This I know for sure:  I learn more in my silences than I ever do in talking.



1 comment:

  1. What perfect timing for your post! I just downloaded a book called "When To Speak Up and When to Shut Up." It probably would have been relegated to the TBR pile for months, but you've given me the push I needed to start reading it today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete