Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 235, August 27

Charles Spurgeon: There is no cry so good as that which comes from the bottom of the mountains; no prayer half so hearty as that which comes up from the depths of the soul, through deep trials and afflictions. Hence they bring us to God, and we are happier; for that is the way to be happy -- to live near God.

What beautiful words. 

Most of us, myself included, would rather pass on the sometimes bitter cup from which we are asked to drink.  The pain caused by trials and afflictions of this mortal life sometimes seems overwhelming.  Who would blame us for shrinking from the hard things?

We may think our cries go unheard, our heartbreak unnoticed.  In the depths of despair, it is easy to believe ourselves to be completely alone.   I have been one of those persons.  In spite of everything I know about the Father and His goodness, I occasionally allow myself to believe that He has deserted me, when nothing could be further from the truth.

This I know for sure:  the Father hears every cry and cries with us.  We are never alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment