Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 237, August 29

In these environmentally conscious times, we are asked to consider our carbon footprint, how much of the earth's resources we are using and how much waste we are generating in our daily lives. I appreciate the reminder to be a good steward.

Today, I'd like to talk about a different kind of footprint, that of kindness.  (You may have noticed that kindness is one of those themes that keeps popping up in this blog.)  Unlike our carbon footprint, which should be modest, our kindness footprint should be ever-expanding.

If you think that's too big a chore, consider that an act of kindness begets another act of kindness, which begets another act ...   We will probably never know the rippling effect of a kindness extended.  Last week I wrote about giving up my airplane seat for a mother traveling with two small children.  What if she decided to help another young mother who needed assistance?  And that mother helped another?

I do not flatter myself that my small act resulted in world peace.  I do, however, like to think I made a difference, however small.

In our church, we have a Primary song, titled "Kindness Begins With Me."

I like to be kind to everyone,
For that is right, you see.
So I say to myself, "Remember this: 
Kindness begins with me."

This I know for sure:  kindness begins with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment