Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day 233, August 25

Abraham Lincoln -- I am very little inclined on any occasion to say anything unless I hope to produce some good by it.

As always, Abraham Lincoln, whom some believe was America's finest president, says much in as few of words as possible.  This quote especially resonated within me as I think of my own words.  Unfortunately, I've said many things, too many, that produced no good.  In fact, they frequently caused harm.

Why don't I learn to keep my mouth shut when the urge to say something unkind arises?  I'm afraid the answer is very simple:  I want to hurt the person to whom my pernicious words were targeted. 

Likewise, why do I feel it necessary to respond when someone says unkind to me?  Returning unkindness with unkindness gives only a fleeting satisfaction, if that.  But, like so many things in life, I have dug a rut from which it's hard to extricate myself.

This I know for sure:  producing good with words is a choice.
 



·

1 comment:

  1. It's so difficult not to respond when you feel as if you've been attacked, isn't it? One of the books I'm currently reading (When to Speak Up and When to Shut Up) points out that Jesus did not respond when he was being accused by Pilate and the others. Instead, he allowed silence to speak for him. Truly, the best of examples.

    ReplyDelete