Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 226, August 18

As you might have noticed, the theme of gratitude is a recurring one in this blog.  Perhaps because I am trying to find more gratitude in my own life.  Perhaps because I am offended by ingratitude.

Gratitude is not peculiar to Christianity.  Did you know that the Koran teaches the importance of gratitude?  The Koran is divided in to suras or chapters.  In chapter fourteen, we find the words, "If you are grateful, I will give you more.  (14:7)  The prophet Mohammed said "Gratitude for the abundance you have received is the best insurance that the abundance will continue." 

Islamic tradition maintains that gratitude is ranked in different stages.  The first is thankfulness for gifts received from God.  An even higher state is being grateful for gifts not received.  In this state, one understands that blessings are couched in affliction.  The final or highest stage of gratitude is recognizing that no amount of worship or service is sufficient to express gratitude to the Creator and that even feelings of gratitude are a gift from God.

What beautiful and wise teachings.

This I know for sure:  gratitude is required of all of us, whatever our faith.

1 comment:

  1. That is so true, that feelings of gratitude are a gift from God. I only feel gratitude when I feel the Spirit who carries it to me, and the companionship of the Spirit is a gift from our loving Father in Heaven. Beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete