Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 42, February 11

Did you know that on this day, February 11, in 1752, the first hospital in America, The Hospital of Pennsylvania, opened its doors?  I didn't.  I've always accepted--and expected--there to be medical care available when my family or I needed it.  Rationally, I suppose I knew that there was a time when hospitals in our country did not exist, but I have taken for granted the excellent care that most hospitals offer.

Many years ago, our first son, Rob, suffered from a bone infection in his leg.  Thanks to the skilled doctors and hospital staff, he recovered, with only a scar to remind him and us of the ordeal.  What would we have done without the care he received?  Robert might have lost his leg, or we might have lost him, both possibilities horrendous.

So, for today, I am grateful for hospitals and the dedicated men and women who serve in them.

2 comments:

  1. I'd never thought about this. I knew hospitals weren't there and now they are, but I'd never thought about when they got here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, this is something I've never really thought of either. An interesting fact to hear about the first hospital.

    ReplyDelete