Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 46, February 15

Our small town of Loveland, Colorado made the national and international news last week.  An administrator at an elementary school found a small boy throwing imaginary grenades at an imaginary box filled with imaginary "bad people."  A zero tolerance policy at school resulted in the little boy being suspended, or, as he put it, "despended." 

"Why am I despended?" he asked.

Why, indeed.

I agree with the policy of zero tolerance for violence.  However, an imaginary grenade thrown at an imaginary box filled with imaginary people hardly qualifies as violence.  I could not help but wonder if the school also had a zero tolerance for common sense.  The political correctness atmosphere that has so infected our nation has brought us to this.

So, for today, I am grateful for people who use common sense.

 

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this story. Very interesting, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly, Jane. It's interesting how the district has backtracked since the story first broke. Not only are we lacking common sense, we appear to be lacking integrity as well.

    ReplyDelete