Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Day 52, February 20

"No terms except an unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted." (To General S.B. Buckner) --Ulysses S. Grant, 1862

Grant, of course, was directing his comment to General Buckner during the Civil War.   When I found this quote, however, my thoughts went not to the War Between the States but to my personal battle to surrender my will to the Father.  And it is a battle.

I battle with pride, with willfulness, with the ridiculous idea that I know best.  How can I surrender to the Father when I'm encumbered with these sins?  The simple answer is, "I can't."

Every day, I struggle to find the humility and meekness of heart that allow me put aside my sins and to say, "Thou knowest what I need."

So, for today, I am grateful for those times when I surrender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment