Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 48, February 17

Yesterday I wrote of my grandparents' courtship and marriage.  I referred only briefly to my grandmother becoming  a step-mother to her new husband's three small children.

Following is a passage from my grandmother's personal history of her experience in mothering these children:

"That first night before we went to bed, Fannie was sitting on her Papa's lap, and I was fixing things and getting the beds ready. Fannie said, 'Papa, let's always stay home now and never, never move again." Her papa told her with tears in his eyes that Aunt Emma (the name Fannie, Mildred, and Donald called me) was going to make a home for us and if they would be nice, she would always stay and do the best she could to be a mother in the home.

"I must say that they all did everything they could to do their part. I never can express how glad I am I have had the opportunity of being blest with them as children. They have expressed their love for me. Mildred gave me a present when she first earned her money and gave a little message like this: 'To the noblest and best mother I ever knew.-'"

So, for today, I am grateful for my grandmother, a noble and compassionate woman.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story! I hope you'll incorporate parts of it into a book one day.

    ReplyDelete