Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 18, January 18


In my home is a plaque that reads "The purpose of life is a life of purpose."

It's a good reminder for me as I struggle to find my purpose in life now that my children are grown with lives of their own.  They don't need me as they once did.  Occasionally they might need something from me, but, for the most part, they are self-sufficient.  And that's the way it's supposed to be.

But I was still left, wondering what my role or purpose in life is now.  What does a woman who had been a full time, hands-on mother for more than 30 years do?

Then I looked around and saw others who need me.  Not in the same ways my children do, but in other ways.  One friend needed a listening ear.  Another needed to grieve over the loss of her husband.  Still another needed encouragement as she recovered from a broken hip.

And I found my purpose.  I can listen, I can grieve, I can encourage.

Joy for today:  finding my purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Joy for (my) day: Someday, my kids won't need me constantly!

    ReplyDelete