Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 2, January 2

Yesterday I touched on the differences between happiness and joy.  We sometimes think of them as synonymous, yet they are distinct in important ways.

J.P. Miller, a popular Christian author during the 19th Century, penned the following:

"Joy is deeper than happiness.  Happienss is the fruit of propserous conditions.  It is the outcome of fortuitous circumstances.  Joy is independent of circumstances.

"Happiness laughs when the sun shines--but grows sad when the glouds gather.  Joy sings on in all weathers and all experiences."

Joy for the day:  a song in my heart even when the sun fails to appear.

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed getting a better understanding of the differences between joy and happiness. I don't think it's something I've ever really thought about.

    ReplyDelete