Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 102, April 12

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing ... but in rising up everytime we fail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson. I love these words. They give comfort and a kick in the pants at the same time. I can't count the number of times I have made the conscious decision to give up writing. Rejection upon rejection convinced me that I had chosen the wrong profession. Even my acceptances result in abysmal pay. Then I remembered: I write because I have to. Some inner need compels me to write. I believe we all have this need to create, to take what is a mass of confusion and make it into something beautiful. In my case, this mass is words. For a sculptor friend, it is clay and wax. For an artist, it is paint and brush strokes. For a musician, it is notes and rhythms. For a mother, it is time and energy and infinite love. Without this inner need and the ability to rise up after failure, DaVinci would not have painted the Mona Lisa; Robert Frost would not have penned his beautiful poetry; Andrew Lloyd Webber would not have composed Phantom of the Opera. So, for today, I am grateful for the need that resides within us all to create.

1 comment:

  1. . . . even when what we create appears to our own eyes not to be worth the creating.

    In the words of Jason Nesmith (main character in the movie Galaxy Quest), "Never give up. Never surrender."

    ReplyDelete