Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 93, April 3

Yesterday (Saturday), my husband and I had the assignment to help clean our church building. We arrived in our work clothes. I grabbed the vacuum and started in the classrooms. Within a little while, I heard beautiful music coming from the chapel, overriding even the whirring motor of the vacuum. Despite my grubby attire, I couldn't resist slipping into the back of the chapel and taking a seat on a pew. A cellist and pianist accompanied a young man singing "Come Thy Fount of Every Blessing," one of my favorite hymns. (You might guess by now that I have a number of favorite hymns.) His pure, clear voice touched my heart, and tears stung my eyes. My chores were temporarily forgotten as I rejoiced in the music. I've mentioned in earlier posts that I have no talent for music. It is my sincere belief that when talents were passed out in heaven, I was off going to a garage sale or taking a nap. At any event, I missed out on many talents and am occasionally envious of those who possess such an abundance of them. It's taken me years to realize what a selfish and short-sighted attitude that is. Why should I resent the talents of others when they brighten the world with color and music and grace? So, for today, I am grateful for the talents of others and their willingness to share them.

1 comment:

  1. Why is the grass always greener on the other side of the talents? It's true, we should be grateful for the talents of others. But I do think we should be grateful for our own as well. If you were sailing when talents were passed out in heaven, then you've done marvelously in developing them here!

    ReplyDelete