Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 99, April 9

I love flags. I love how they look blowing in a stiff wind. More, I love what they represent. When I was a school child (many moons ago), we said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning. (We also prayed every morning.) Like many of the values and practices I hold dear, these are considered out-of-date. As I have mentioned before, I came of age during the last years of the Viet Nam era. Just as I never understood the criticism and denigration of the men and women who so bravely served our country, neither did I understand the flag burning in which so many people felt necessary to participate. The flag is sacred to me. When my father, a World War II veteran died, I was presented with a meticulously folded American flag. I cherish it, just as I cherish the memory of my father. So, for today, I am grateful for the flag of the United States of America ... and for the freedom it symbolizes.

1 comment:

  1. I remember how Flag Day was a big event during elementary school. We'd all carry small flags and march around the neighborhood. If it rained, which unfortunately happened too often, we'd march around the gymnasium. But wherever we went, we were proud of those flags and what they symbolized.

    ReplyDelete